The Governments of the States Parties to this Constitution on behalf of their peoples declare:
That since wars begin in the minds of men, it is in the minds of men that the defenses of peace must be constructed;
That ignorance of each other's ways and lives has been a common cause, throughout the history of mankind, of that suspicion and mistrust between the peoples of the world through which their differences have all too often broken into war;
UNESCO mainstreams the Culture of Peace as a theme that runs through everything it does.
Check out UNESCO activities in the field of the culture of peace.
The International Congress on Peace in the Minds of Men was held on the initiative of UNESCO in Yamoussoukro in the heart of Africa. Its final declaration included this statement:
* Peace is reverence for life.The first book ever published on the organization, UNESCO: Peace in the Minds of Men by Theodore Besterman, is now available on line. It provides a great look at the early history of the organization, and emphasizes the importance of the search for peace in the minds of men.
* Peace is the most precious possession of humanity.
* Peace is more than the end of armed conflict.
* Peace is a mode of behaviour.
* Peace is a deep-rooted commitment to the principles of liberty, justice, equality and solidarity among all human beings.
* Peace is also a harmonious partnership of humankind with the environment.
* Today, on the eve of the twenty-first century, peace is within our reach.