The Global Land Cover Facility of the University of Maryland maintains The World Database of Protected Areas.
The WDPA Consortium provides a focal point through which information and ideas are both pooled and shared. The Consortium members through their own projects and programmes and by tapping into a network of in-country expertise, perform a vital information-gathering role. After such information has been entered into the WDPA, the Consortium provide a quality control function by cross checking/evaluating data holdings and suggesting improvements.The areas covered include:
- UNESCO World Heritage Natural and Mixed Sites
- UNESCO Man and Biosphere Reserves
- Wetlands of International Importance (Ramsar)
- ASEAN Heritage Declaration Sites
- International Maritime Organization (IMO) Particularly Sensitive Sea Areas