- Member states are to submit information on their candidates for the post by May 31, 2009.
- The Secretariat will provide a list of candidates (in confidence) to the member states and Executive Board by the first week in June.
- Candidates will then have until August 1st to submit statements of their views about the future of UNESCO.
- At the 182nd session of the Executive Board (7-23 September 2009) the candidates are to be interviewed, and one is to be selected by secret ballot to be recommended to the General Conference (which is expected to meet 6 to 23 October 2009).
- The General Conference is to elect the next Director General, but in the past the General Conference has always ratified the recommendation of its Executive Board.
Al-Ahram in November had an interview with the Egyptian candidate.