Of course, these groups vary greatly one from another in the number and vigor of the activities that they conduct. I recently came across information on a club in India, the Krityanand UNESCO Club in Jamshedpur. Jamshedpur is an industrial city with a population of over one million people in eastern India.
I came across the following description of the club's activities:
The Krityanand UNESCO Club was established in 1992. Since then the organization has been expanding continuously in terms of its social development service. It has worked for the promotion of sustainable, equitable and participatory development, social welfare and social justice through:
Over the years, the organization has made a significant contribution to planning, action strategies and Human Resource Development in several areas, ranging from sustainable rural and urban development to education, health, agriculture, and Human Rights. In all cases the focus has been on the disadvantaged and marginalized sections of societies, such as women, children and tribal groups.
- A Program for social work,
- Human Resources Management
- Health service and other human service
- Through social research and dissemination of socially relevant knowledge
- Social intervention through training and field action
- Contribution to social and welfare policy and programs at state, National and International levels
The Krityanand UNESCO Club has earned recognition as an institution (Organization) of repute from state Government of Jharkhand, India International agencies or organization such as the United Nations and its system, and various International NGOs. The organization contributing relevant education and Research work.
The club maintains a Facebook site. Here are links to descriptions of some of its projects and activities.
- The KRITYANAND UNESCO CLUB Rural Development Project
- The KRITYANAND UNESCO CLUB ICT Project for Rural Development
- An International Law Overview by Mukesh Kumar Mishra, the Secretary General of the club
- KRITYANAND UNESCO CLUB Human Rights Information and Documentation Center