Assistance under the Participation Programme is provided to Member States or Associate Member States upon requests submitted through National Commissions (requests from individuals cannot be considered). International NGOs may also benefit from assistance under the Participation Program. The domain of assistance is quite broad, as shown by the following examples of successful projects submitted during the 2008-2009 biennium to the Natural Sciences Sector:
- Establishment of a Seismological Training Center at the Jordan Seismological Observatory
- Implementation of a solar lighting system for schools (Guinea)
- Application of satellite remote sensing for integrated management of coastal and marine ecosystems (Mozambique)
- Institutional strengthening of hydrometeorological services (Bhutan)
- Establishment of flash flood forecasting and warning system in the Keumya River basin (Democratic Republic of Korea)
- Promoting Science education in primary schools through the provision of Basic Science Equipment (Saint-Vincent and the Grenadines)
provision of fellowships and study grants.