The programs are:
- Science education
- HIV and AIDS
- Education for sustainable development
- Contribution to the implementation of the Mauritius Strategy for the Sustainable Development of Small Island Developing States (SIDS)
- Fostering ICT-enhanced learning
- Strengthening national research systems
- Languages and multilingualism
- Contributing to the dialogue among civilizations and cultures and a culture of peace
- Support to countries in post-conflict and disaster situations
- Priority Africa: coordinating and monitoring the plan of action to benefit Africa
- UNESCO action to address climate change
- Foresight and anticipation
The UNESCO Intersectoral Platform: Strengthening national research systems
This intersectoral platform involves four Major Programs (Education, Natural Sciences, Social and Human Sciences and Communications and Information) and the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS) and builds on the results of the UNESCO Forum on Higher Education, Research and Knowledge. The program seeks to strengthen research and knowledge management as a driver of economic and social development in Member States and for the pursuit of the Millennium Development Goals, especially poverty eradication and sustainable development.
The platform shall also draw on the contribution of the UNITWIN/UNESCO Chairs program, the results of the UNESCO-supported policy dialog and capacity-building for the formulation of national science, technology and innovation policies, the strengthening of research-policy linkages in the field of the social and human science policy elaboration, efforts to build knowledge societies and the implementation of relevant recommendations of the 2005 UNESCO World Report on Towards Knowledge Societies.